Thursday, April 2, 2009

Recipes for . . .

A Wonderful Day:

Start with one part energetic mom plus two parts cooperative children.  Cover all with better-than-expected weather.  Mix in new friends at the park, two successful bike-rides by Annie, new bravery on the swings by Jemma, one trip to the ice-cream store, and lots of giggling.  Finish with a warm bath, a long story, and the words, "You're the best mom in the whole world."

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies:

1 stick butter
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
2 1/2 c. chocolate chips

In large mixing bowl (I use my KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachment), cream the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add the brown sugar and mix until batter is light and fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix.  Gently fold in dry ingredients and chocolate chips.  Don't over-mix.

Chill dough in fridge for 30 minutes.

Drop 2 rounded tablespoons per cookie onto a cookie sheet, spaced 2 inches apart.  Chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Bake for 15 minutes.

My modifications:  I often skip the second chilling (after the cookies are on the sheet); I like them best when I use a combination of different chocolates, like 1 c. semi-sweet chips and the rest made up of chopped-up Ghiradelli milk chocolate and dark chocolate baking bars; I sometimes add dried cherries or white chocolate chips; I sometimes add about 1/4 t. cinnamon to the batter; I like them slightly under-baked, so I sometimes take them out after 13-14 minutes if they look done.

No comments:

Post a Comment