Sunday, March 28, 2010

Easy Like Saturday Morning

I was getting ready for my run with Sarah on Saturday morning, pulling on tights and gloves because it was sort of freezing, and Annie was watching me. She was eating her Kashi Cinnamon Harvest Wheat cereal and mixing in dried cherries, slurping up milk.

"I want to go running with you, Mama," she said. And I said that when I got back, she and I could run together wherever she wanted to go. When I got back 45 minutes later, she was indeed waiting for me, wearing leggings and a big hooded sweatshirt plus a knit hat and gloves. We ran around the block a couple times, the sunshine on our faces, and then she said she wanted to go longer. So we went back home, put Jemma in the jogging stroller, and set off for Starbucks, still running. Her little feet pounded the ground, her little arms pumped back and forth. She smiled. "This is fun," she said.

We stopped to get two vanilla milks and a hazelnut latte, then spent the rest of the morning at the playground. Nobody else was there. We pushed each other on swings, chased each other around on the grass, slid down slides, and drank our drinks. We got home just as Jason was making grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch, and I love that this - run, coffee, park, sunshine - is all we need to be completely happy on a Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment