Saturday, August 13, 2011

Just Us Big Girls

Jemma spent the night at my parents' last night for her summer sleepover and Jason was off doing manly things involving mountain bikes, jerky, speakers, and beer at the cabin, so it was just me and Annie. After the others left, I told her she got to be in charge of the day and her eyes lit up.

First, we went to the farmers' market, where she chose a peacock feather for herself and one for Jemma.  We bought peaches and raspberries and tomatoes, too.

She declared it Opposite Day, meaning that first we needed to eat ice cream at Jersey Junction, and then we needed to eat lunch.  So we did.  We sat outside and spoiled our lunch with ice cream and it was fabulous.  After lunch, she wanted to "be cozy," so we climbed into my bed, Annie with her Boxcar Children book and me with my books, and we read for an hour or so in companionable silence.

Next, Annie declared that we go to the pool, so we did.  There was hardly anyone else there but luckily she knew one little girls from school and I talked with a friend while her son zoomed into the water and taunted me adorably with his peanut butter crackers.

She wanted risotto for dinner, so I made that and I sliced a farmers' market tomato with some fresh mozzarella and basil from our windowbox.  Sarah called to invite Annie down to watch a movie in jammies with Lucy, so the little girls snuggled with popcorn in the basement while Sarah and I drank lambic in her adirondack chairs.  Later, she fell asleep while I scratched her back.

It was pouring this morning when we woke up.  We made peanut butter toast and had more raspberries while I drank coffee and looked at the IKEA catalog and Annie perused morning cartoons.  I went running while she made up a dance routine with Lucy.  Later, we went to Target, where she counted out all her "spend" money to buy her very first pair of real earrings, tucked away in their pink box for the next month.  She asked me if I cried when I got my ears pierced.  She asked to buy new basil soap.  She chose Annie's Mac & Cheese, pumpkin granola bars, and new school clothes.  She still fits into some 5T Osh Kosh, just barely, and I am savoring one more season of that cuteness.

We went to the library to return books and check out new movies for a cozy movie night.  She asked me what my favorite song is.  She asked me how I learned to cook.  She wondered what Jemma was doing. We played statues.  We did math flashcards.  We read Pippi Longstocking, and Jemma came home, and everyone went to bed.

I hope she remembers.  I think she will.

No comments:

Post a Comment