Monday, July 27, 2009

Nerds of America, Unite

I sometimes claim that I can't be friends with people who don't like to read. I mean, how can you not LOVE reading? Not that everyone has to love the same books I love (though it is good if you do), but I just can't imagine life without a book in bed at the end of every day. (Clearly, I, too, am in need of the t-shirt Jon Stewart was recently given on The Daily Show emblazoned with "Nerd Society of America" on it.)

Apparently, I make exceptions to my claim, since I go to sleep next to someone who has taken one of the same two books to bed every night for about a year (Hawaii by James Michener, and some French cookbook that was free in a used bookstore) and then fallen asleep after 30 seconds. But since I suspect most of the rest of you are readers, I thought it would be fun to post this three-part, book-related question, which I found over on the blog finslippy:

1)What's the book you wish you had written?
2) What book do you read when you want something comforting and familiar?
And 3) What book do you think everyone should read?


2 comments:

  1. Ok, off the top of my head:

    1. The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold. Gorgeous and sad.

    2. Straight Man, or anything by Richard Russo. Funny and tough.

    3. Anna Karenina. Just to prove that classics are not not dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
    or Song of the Dodo - David Quammen
    2. New Rules - Bill Maher
    It still makes me laugh
    3. Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris

    ReplyDelete