Saturday, January 2, 2010

So Far, So Good



The new year is off to a solidly good start. We spent New Year's Eve with a small group of college friends, most of whom we've spent the holiday with for the past ten years. There were martinis, there was cheese, there was terrible techno music, there was The 80's Game, there was toasting at midnight. My parents were troopers, wide-awake when we rolled in well after 1:00 a.m., my mom merrily knitting away and my dad happily watching sports round-ups.

While it was fun to stay out late, it was significantly less fun when Annie woke up at 5:15 a.m. the next morning. Happy New Year!!!!! Jason gave me a few hours "off" for the day, and I spent it at a great yoga class. Afterwards, I did some virtuous grocery-shopping, full of good intentions to make more fresh, healthy food in the new year. I even bought cucumber and lemon so I could try to re-create the delicious water we had at the spa in Hawaii. Then, I walked in the door to a house that smelled like Burger King, thanks to Jason's enthusiasm for our new mandoline and a potato chips test-kitchen moment. Zen moment, ruined. (But I do have that pitcher of water in the fridge . . .)

We bundled up late afternoon and took a walk around the block, then headed across the street for some ice-skating on our neighbor's rink. Jemma was adorable, skittering around with a hockey stick and puck; Annie's hockey skates from last year still fit, and she is sort-of kind-of able to skate!

We spent today at the gym, running errands, doing laundry, writing thank-you's, making mix-in muffins (our mix-ins were dried cherries, chocolate chips, and crystallized ginger), and watching a movie with the girls. We made edamame and Vietnamese bun for dinner and since Jason was going to run out a grab a few sushi rolls to round out our meal, I made candy sushi with the girls. How cute is it? I know! I totally want to think up a party to throw, just so I can get five or ten kids around a table, making this.

No comments:

Post a Comment