Sunday, November 4, 2012

It's What's For Dinner

Jemma has a new good friend in her class this year, a little girl who moved from another state just before school started. The two are inseparable at school, apparently, and constantly asking for playdates. Since Saturday morning soccer is finally over (yay!), we hosted O. at our house yesterday morning.

When O. arrived, her mom explained that the two of them had just been at the mall together and O. had seen a two-pack of necklaces she wanted to get for herself and Jemma. O's mom agreed, saying she'd have to be paid back later, so O happily presented one to Jemma and wore one herself. They were matching silver chains with little circle charms that said, "BFF" on them. Jemma thanked O a little less enthusiastically than I would have guessed, I put her necklace on her, and they ran off to play for three hours straight.

Later, after we had taken O home, I said to Jemma, "Wasn't that so nice and thoughtful of O to want to buy that necklace and give it to you?"

Jemma looked a little sad. "Yeah," she said, "but I don't really like it."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Well," Jemma said, "what does it mean?"

"Oh, honey, do you not know what BFF stands for?" I asked.

Jemma was quiet. "Beef?" she asked.

Ahhhhh! "No, babe, it stands for Best Friends Forever," I said, and inside I was dying, thinking about how my sweet girl had been bravely and politely thanking her friend and wearing a necklace that she thought said beef. Bless her heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment