Monday, October 17, 2011

Channelling Andy Rooney

A list of things making me grumpy:
  • Jemma's ear infection/general virus/pinkeye (?), which forced a visit to the pediatrician's early-morning walk-in clinic, which was full even though we got there 25 minutes before it ended, which caused us to need an appointment later in the morning, which caused Jemma to miss her class field trip today.  Sub-grumpiness related to this grumpiness:
               - Jemma has not yet realized that she missed the super-duper-fun field trip to the pumpkin  
                 patch, but she surely will realize it when she returns to school tomorrow.
               - the prescription she is now on for said ear infection pretty much guarantees she'll have
                 diarrhea for the next 7-10 days.  
  • The post-race intestinal distress and general body unhappiness brought on by yesterday's successful (2:01) half-marathon.  At least I felt good during the run . . . ?
  • The fact that, this many years into teaching and modeling table manners, my oldest daughter still wipes her messy hands on her clothes while eating and my youngest daughter still wipes her mouth on her sleeve.  When, I ask, WHEN will they start actually using the napkin that sits next to their plate without being reminded?
  • The word "fav" being used all over the internet.  "Fav" is not a word, people.  Remember that thing you learned in first grade called "the magic e"?  You know, where putting an "e" on the end of a word makes the preceding vowel "say its name"?  If you want it to rhyme with "Dave," you need to spell it "fave."  Like, you know, "rave," "gave," "save," "concave," . . . do I need to go on?
  • The phrase "You're young!" being thrown out a lot by people of an older generation towards people in my generation, often as an excuse for their own lack of energy.  Since I am still "young," relatively speaking, I'll have to take their word for it that I won't be feeling quite as spry as I do now come thirty years or so.  I mean, I definitely can't do some of the things I did in college, like pull all-nighters or stay out past 2:00 a.m. several nights in a row and still function the next day.  So I get that energy levels naturally dwindle, etc.  But I take issue with "You're young!" being used to somewhat devalue the effort that those of us who are still "young" put into life.  Yes, we're young-ish, but things still take work and effort and we're still tired as hell sometimes at the end of the day, too.  Being young might make it more possible, or easiER, but it's not MAGIC.  It's not, "Oh, I'm young, so juggling all these things in my life is effortless!"  It's, "I suppose this is easier than it would be if I tried to do it in thirty years, but it is still hard work."  
  • Spending money recently on the most boring things possible:  fixing my car's muffler/exhaust system, having the sewer lines roto-rooted, putting in new windows upstairs in our house.  BORING.  

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I want to comment on about eight things here, but I will simply say--you rocked that half!! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete